Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Level Backgrounds of Chickadee

Chickadee continues to excite me, as we're all making some serious progress towards the game. Now, you already know Jo is doing the programming, and I'm doing the directing, concept ideas, level design, art, and music. However, there's another person helping out, my local friend, Natasha Matthews, who is doing the background art of levels. What is her secret to these awesome backgrounds? Let's hear it straight from Natasha's mouth! Well, technically it was Natasha's fingers, as this was a typed response!
"Really I am taking [Phil's] concepts and looking at nature to figure out color pallets and I use real life textures over my work so the sand on the beach has a sand texture or bark on the trees. I also look at games such as Little Big Planet and Nintendo games for more inspiration."
Let's take a look at the four current backgrounds Natasha has worked on. I drew up a quick concept for Natasha to follow, and she did the brunt of the work! Note: These might not be the final versions in Chickadee.

TUTORIAL WORLD BACKGROUND
FOREST WORLD BACKGROUND
BEACH WORLD BACKGROUND
WINTER WORLD BACKGROUND

FOREST WORLD CONCEPT

BEACH WORLD CONCEPT

WINTER WORLD CONCEPT

No comments:

Post a Comment